Do you have a child who dreams of flying? If your aviation-loving military child will be a rising 7-12th grader this summer, you don’t want to miss the opportunity of a Delta Air Lines scholarship to attend the National Flight Academy.
What is the National Flight Academy?
The National Flight Academy, located in Pensacola, FL, is a premier Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education institution that provides students in grades 7-12 with a fully-immersive, learning adventure of a lifetime!
During the National Flight Academy’s 6-day overnight program, rising 7-12 grade students live aboard a state-of-the-art virtual aircraft carrier called AMBITION. Students work together to plan humanitarian missions with cutting edge technology where they learn to fly simulators. They get to experience ship life where they eat on a mess deck, sleep in staterooms and receive mission briefings in six fully electronic ready rooms.
Students at the National Flight Academy work together in squadron teams where they collaborate and complete missions using a variety of STEM-based concepts. Additionally, facilitators and program counselors incorporate 21st Century Core Competency Skills that include leadership, communication, and critical thinking.
Delta National Flight Academy Scholarship for Military Kids
Delta Air Lines, the official airline of the National Flight Academy, is providing tuition scholarships for 23 military dependents to attend a six-day, five night, immersive program at the National Flight Academy.
The tuition scholarships are valued at $1,250 each covering the full tuition of the National Flight Academy program.
Who is eligible for the scholarship?
Applicants must be a military dependent, be preparing to enter grades 7-12, and be between 11 and 17 years of age at the time of attendance.
Students must be available to attend one of the following weeks:
- June 7-12
- June 21-26 Girls in Aviation Week
- July 26-31
The NFA cannot guarantee choice of weeks, but will accommodate as best they can.
How can my military child win a National Flight Academy scholarship?
Students must compete for a scholarship position by submitting either a video or essay. The video or essay must answer one of the following prompts:
- If you have flown before, how did science and engineering help you have a safe flight?
- How would you like to see Delta Air Lines use science, technology, engineering and math to make flying more fun for passengers?
Video Contest Submission Requirements:
- Video must range between 1:00 – 1:30 minutes long.
- Applicants must upload video on their own YouTube Channel
- Video must feature the child’s own work! Judging will be based on effort, originality, creativity and understanding of STEM concepts.
- Submit your video through the application portal
Essay Contest Submission Requirements:
- To the best of the student’s ability, write a 500-word essay (450-550 words are acceptable, if the topic is covered).
- Essay must be typed in a word processor, and then copy and paste to the corresponding text box on the application portal.
Parents must submit their child’s video or essay through the application portal by Friday, Febrary 21 at 12:00pm CST. Any videos or essays submitted after this deadline will not be considered.
If selected, student will be notifed by the NFA no later than Friday, February 28, 2020 at 12:00pm CST via the parent’s email address provided during the submission process.
You may also be interested in: